We have released a new report that monitors electricity demand from business consumers on a monthly basis. This report splits network-connected business demand from residential demand for the first time, enhancing the information available on the demand side of the wholesale market. Users are able to drill down into regions and explore relative measures with and without NZAS demand included. Some examples of the insights that can be derived follow.
The report can highlight the impact that New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 had on business electricity demand and the degree to which this has now recovered.
- Total business demand down 25 per cent in April 2020 from April 2019
- Network connected business demand was down 24 per cent in April 2020 from April 2019. However, demand recovered quickly with June's demand back to 2019 levels.
- Grid-connected demand (excluding NZAS) dropped 45.5 per cent in April from March 2020 but recovered strongly in May.
Total business demand, 2016 - 2020 YTD
The report can help add context to recent announcements from NZAS and highlights the materiality of NZAS demand relative to total demand from the country, South Island, and Lower South Island.
- NZAS accounts for ~56 per cent of lower South Island demand
- NZAS accounts for ~34 per cent of South Island demand
- NZAS accounts for ~13 per cent of National demand
NZAS annual demand as a proportion of South Island demand
The report can highlight changes in underlying business demand.
- Grid-connected demand (excl. NZAS) has been trending downwards from nearly 9 per cent in 2010 to 6 per cent in 2019.
- South Island network-connected business demand seasonality (irrigation). On an annual basis, this demand represents 40 per cent of total South Island demand and is roughly equivalent to network-connected business demand in the Upper North Island.
South Island network-connected demand, 2016 - 2020 YTD
For more insights see the report or dashboards below.
- Business demand trends report
- Monthly demand overview EMI dashboard
- NZAS demand overview public dashboard
Recall the ‘All dashboard instances’ button at the top right of any report will display report instances that our users find useful and have added to a dashboard.